Perth Bowling Club
Balhousie, North Inch, Perth. PH1 5HT
Tel: 01738 621386
It's with deep regret that I have to inform you of the passing of Alex Don,
HISTORY OF PERTH BOWLING CLUB
The official date of the formation of Perth Bowling Club at St.Leonards was the 11th day of March 1853. It was reported that all work on the green was finished and that it was fit for play. The green was opened for play on 30th June 1853. The total cost of laying the green and building the clubhouse was £143 19/-.
In 1858 the Club was informed that the grounds on which the green was a part, was in the market for sale. The new green at Balhousie was opened on 12th May 1864 with Sir David Ross, the Lord Provost performing the opening ceremony.
The problem of squaring the green was the subject of much discussion in the period 1928-1931. A modified scheme was carried out at the close of the 1931 season.
In 1940-1940 significant changes had taken place in the personnel of the club membership and it agreed that the maximum number be raised to 100 and the need to draw up a waiting list for membership.
In 1956 a new kitchen was added to clubhouse, and the thatch roof was replaced by slates in 1966.
The ladies section was formed in 1978 but ladies and gents sections were amalgamated in 2000.
In 1993 the green and clubhouse was under a few feet of water following serious flooding in Perth.
The club were successful during 2016 season in winning Division A of Perth & District League, Campbell Trophy, Ladies Fair Maids Trophy, Carse Senior Triples, Perth & Perthshire Ladies 2 Pairs, and Tayside Ladies Triples League. Also in 2016 for the first time, 15 members of the club qualified to play in the Bowls Scotland finals at Ayr - the first time such a large number from a Perthshire club had made it to the finals in the same season.
Visits from touring sides has been a feature for many years and every encouragement is given for other teams to contact the club.