Perth Bowling Club

 

 

 

Balhousie, North Inch, Perth. PH1 5HT

Tel: 01738 621386

 

President:

Ally Stirton

Vice President:

Vic Cameron

Club Secretary:

Gordon Barclay

Club Treasurer:

Geraldine Caven

Gents Match Secretary:

Gary Turpie

Ladies Match Secretary:

Ann Moffat

Office bearers update - Elaine Matchett, Margaret Braisford, Ally Rodger, Brian Tavendale, Mary Grimmond, Keith Sievwright.  

Club News:

Club News: The Bill Scott Trophy was played on Sunday 1st July 2018 under glorious weather and it was
Won by Andy Duff, Ally Rodger Linda Scott, Alex Don.  Runners Up were - Gordon Christie, Ann Moffat, Wilma Stewart, Tom Rorrison.

Perth Bowling club Top ten players were well beaten by Bankfoot Bowling Club on Monday 9th July,
Last night  (4th July ) saw Caledonia Bowling Club winning the Campbell trophy on 32 points Kinnoull Bowling Club on 31 points and Perth Bowling Club finishing on 30 points, well done to Caledonia Bowling Club on your victory. 

 

HISTORY OF PERTH BOWLING CLUB 

The official date of the formation of Perth Bowling Club at St.Leonards was the 11th day of March 1853.  It was reported that all work on the green was finished and that it was fit for play.  The green was opened for play on 30th June 1853.  The total cost of laying the green and building the clubhouse was 143 19/-.

 

In 1858 the Club was informed that the grounds on which the green was a part, was in the market for sale.  The new green at Balhousie was opened on 12th May 1864 with Sir David Ross, the Lord Provost performing the opening ceremony.

 

The problem of squaring the green was the subject of much discussion in the period 1928-1931.  A modified scheme was carried out at the close of the 1931 season.

 

In 1940-1940 significant changes had taken place in the personnel of the club membership and it agreed that the maximum number be raised to 100 and the need to draw up a waiting list for membership.

 

In 1956 a new kitchen was added to clubhouse, and the thatch roof was replaced by slates in 1966.

The ladies section was formed in 1978 but ladies and gents sections were amalgamated in 2000.

In 1993 the green and clubhouse was under a few feet of water following serious flooding in Perth.  

 

Club Honours

The club were successful during 2016 season  in winning Division A of Perth & District League, Campbell Trophy, Ladies Fair Maids Trophy, Carse Senior Triples, Perth & Perthshire Ladies 2 Pairs, and  Tayside Ladies Triples League.  Also in 2016 for the first time, 15 members of the club qualified to play in the Bowls Scotland finals at Ayr  - the first time such a large number from a Perthshire club had made it to the finals in the same season.

 

Visits from touring sides has been a feature for many years and every encouragement is given for other teams to contact the club.

 

05-07-2018 kw